Pandemic Mayfly: Callibaetis/PMD(SHOWN ABOVE)/BWO
By: Rob Kolanda
Hook: Dai-Riki 285
Thread: 6/0 To match
Tail: Hungarian Partridge Feather Barbules
Abdomen: Superfine Dubbing-GRAY OLIVE(CALLIBAETIS)PALE EVE. DUN(BWO)RUSTY BROWN (PMD)
Rib: Black Small/X-Small Ultra Wire (Copper on pmd, use small size on larger sizes)
Gills: Scud Olive or Natural Gray Ostrich Herl
Wingcase: Black 1 mm Foam(use .5 mm on smaller sizes)
Flashback: Mirage Small or Narrow Flashabou
Thorax: Same as body
Legs: Hungarian Partridge Feather Barbules
Head: Tying Thread
1. Start the thread at mid-hook shank point and wrap to above the hook point.
2. Tie in rib wire and the tail barbules. Overwrap to above the hook barb. Number of barbules is tyers choice. Cut off excess.
3. Dub a tight tapered abdomen to the hook shank mid-point.
4. Spiral-wrap the rib wire, making 5~7 “ribs” to the hook shank mid-point.
Tie in and cut off excess.
5. Tie in 1 Ostrich Herl and make 3~5 wraps. Tie in and cut off excess.
6. Tie in 1 strand of Mirage Flashabou on top of the hook shank.
7. Tie in a 1/8” wide piece of foam on top of the hook shank.
8. Dub a thick thorax that (appx twice as thick as the abdomen) to 1 eye length behind the hook eye.
9. Pull the foam forward over the thorax and tie in 1 eye length behind the hook eye.
Cut off excess.
10. Pull the Mirage Flashabou forward over the thorax and tie in 1 eye length behind the hook eye. Cut off excess.
11. Tie in 3~6 leg barbules on each side of the hook shank. Overwrap the barbules forcing them to the rear. Cut off excess.
12. Wrap and whip-finish a medium size head.
13. Optional: Apply water-based head cement to the whip finish.
14. Catch the %@^# out of trout!